Pages

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Gringo Mexican Rice

Gringo Mexican Rice
I have never been very good at cooking rice. I don't know what it is! It doesn't ever turn out right when I cook rice on the stove. I've tried rinsing it, not rinsing it, adding a drop of oil, adding a tsp of butter, adding salt and not adding salt and it is either sticky or not cooked all the way through. Until I found this baby! Turns out PERFECT every time! If you can cook rice, I salute you! If however, you're like me and you need a little help, I would suggest a rice cooker. Money well spent!



Gringo Mexican Rice


This is the quickest, easiest way to cook Mexican rice! It's not the authentic way of preparing it, but the flavor is right and my family loves it.


Ingredients:

4 cups cooked rice
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup finely diced onion
1/2 cup frozen peas and carrots
1/2 cup corn
1/2 cup stewed tomatoes, blended
Garlic salt, to taste

Directions:

Cook rice and set aside. Using a large skillet, heat oil over high flame. You'll want the pan nice and hot.

Saute' onions


When the oil and the pan are hot, add the diced onions and saute' until they are translucent and almost caramelized.








Add rice




Add rice and combine with the onions and oil, stirring constantly, coating the rice with the oil.




Mix veggies in



Add veggies and stir to combine.
Cook for a few minutes until the frozen veggies soften. Season with garlic salt.







Add tomatoes




Add the blended stewed tomatoes and stir to combine the rice with the tomatoes.







Combine tomatoes



Cook and stir constantly until the tomatoes are heated through and everything is combined.













No comments:

Post a Comment