Pages

Wednesday, February 12, 2014

'Yard House' Jambalaya Copy


I threw this together in a pinch last night after realizing it was dinner time and I had my face in the computer too long. I LOVE the jambalaya at Yard House and have made one other attempt at recreating it. (It was ok, but not close enough). This time, I changed the way I prepared everything and I have to say it is pretty darn close. Except for the missing jumbo shrimp. The kids won't eat them. (Weirdos!)




Chicken thighs (8-boneless, skinless)

Cajun seasoning

14 oz Package beef summer sausage

½ Package longaniza sausage

Red bell pepper – coarsely chopped

Pasilla pepper – coarsely chopped

2 cloves garlic - crushed

Can of stewed tomatoes (original recipe! Not Mexican or Italian version)

Can of tomato soup

Pint of half and half


 Heat 2 Tbs olive oil in a large skillet.
(I LOVE my 12” flat skillet! Cooks a family sized meal and the sides keep food from flying out when I’m stirring!)
Cut the chicken thighs into good size chunks or strips. Spread the chicken out across the bottom of the pan. Coat the chicken with the Cajun seasoning. (Basically to taste here. If you like it spicy, pile that stuff on! If not, just sprinkle it on lightly for flavor.) Cook the chicken for 4-5 minutes on one side before turning and coating with seasoning again. Cook the chicken until nearly cooked through and very little pink remains.
Slice the summer sausage and add to the skillet. Stir and cook for another 4-5 minutes.
Coarsely chop the peppers and add to the skillet. Stir.
Crush the garlic with a garlic press and add to the skillet and stir.
Remove the casing from one link of longaniza sausage and crumble into the skillet. Stir and combine the longaniza into the mix. Longaniza will crumble and basically dissolve while cooking but gives the pot amazing flavor.
Create a space in the pan to add the stewed tomatoes. Dump the tomatoes in and chop or cut the tomatoes into smaller pieces with kitchen sheers (or you could drain the juice into the skillet and chop the tomatoes on a cutting board if you don’t have kitchen sheers. I use my kitchen sheers in place of a knife all the time!) Give it a stir and let simmer for a couple minutes.
Add the tomato soup and stir to combine.
Add the half and half, gently stir (its gonna be really saucy) and reduce heat to med-low. Simmer for 5-10 minutes until sauce begins to thicken.
Serve over rice.


6 comments:

  1. This is my favorite dish! Thanks I will give it a try. Never seen the Weber Cajun seasonings so that may make the difference. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made this tonight and it was excellent. I added a 1lbs of jumbo shrimp and one onion and a yellow bell pepper. I made the sauce in a medium pot and added all the browned ingredients to the sauce pot. I would recommend using heavy cream if u want a thicker sauce otherwise a great recipie thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is one of my favorite recipes. They only changes I've made is cutting up the bell peppers a little more fine. I usually use two (red and orange), and I also finely dice a jalapeƱo with them. I also use pork chorizo instead of longaniza. It has the same effect. I use lots of the Webers Cajun spice, but I add black pepper, chili powder, and cayenne... we love our food spicy! But the base to this recipe is amazing! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent dish!!! I made it with pork chorizo because I couldn’t find the longaniza and added shrimp and put it on pasta. I found Weber seasoning at vons. When I made the recipe I used Cajun street seasoning from vons.

    ReplyDelete