Pages

Sunday, February 3, 2013

Cucumber Dip

I'm not only a 'Foodie' ... I'm a 'Saucey'! I know there are tons of hidden and even empty calories in sauces and dips but I can't help it! What's the point of bland, dry food?

I have a favorite dip from Black Angus that I literally crave. It's the cucumber dip they serve with the fried zucchini appetizer. I always ask for an extra serving of the dip with the order. I'd use it on my salad if I could! Heck, I probably could! Next time I'll order the side salad with no dressing and use the cucumber dip instead!

I had a couple of 'questionable' cucumbers in the veggie drawer in the fridge that either needed to be used now or would end up getting tossed. (Isn't it amazing how much food we toss because it goes bad in the veggie drawer??!) I decided I wanted to give the Black Angus cucumber dip a shot. I found a recipe online that is supposedly THE actual recipe from Black Angus as posted in the Orange County Register in August 2007 by Executive Chef, Dave Ohlsen.

I was impressed. It didn't LOOK exactly like the dip from Black Angus but the taste was perfect! I was so excited! And it made tons! I have more than I know what to do with!

** After sitting in the refrigerator overnight the dip tasted a bit too salty for me. The recipe calls for 1 TBS salt! I only added 1 tsp, but next time, I think I would eliminate the salt all together.**

Ingredients:
1 cup shredded cucumber
1/4 cup minced onion
1 1/4 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup sour cream
1 Tbs salt **(see note about salt above)
1 tsp ground white pepper (I used black)
1 Tbs distilled white vinegar
1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 Tbs sugar
Dash hot sauce, such as Tabasco (I used Sriracha)

Directions:
Mix all ingredients together in mixer for 5 minutes on low to thoroughly combine ingredients.









No comments:

Post a Comment