Pages

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Pizza Dough

    I must admit that I am a bit of a 'Pizza Snob.' I'm pretty picky when it comes to pizza. I'm not a big fan of the now popular fast food style pizza that's sitting in a warmer; ready and waiting for you to walk in and take home. There's something strange about the cheese to me... have you noticed how it gets hard and, in my opinion, plastic-like once it begins to cool?

Combination Pizza

     I much prefer pizzeria style pizza... baked fresh and made to order. Fresh ingredients. Thick and rich sauce loaded with herbs and spices and REAL cheese. I have a favorite pizza restaurant locally that serves (what I think) is the best pizza around. But what kills me is the price....over $30 for a large one-topping pizza and drinks for our family of five.

Barbecue Chicken Pizza
     When we decided to cut back on our monthly spending recently, and lessen our monthly eating out; one of the things that I really did not want to give up was pizza. Then I found this little gem of a recipe. I was a little leary at first... 'surely this isn't going to be as good as restaurant pizza...' I thought. But it was! It's fabulous! I have made it several times over the last couple of months, varying the toppings and experimenting with different sauces and everytime it's been delicious and the kids love it!

 

PIZZA DOUGH RECIPE
 
1 packet yeast (2 ¼ teaspoons)
1 cup warm water (at least 110º F)
1 teaspoon sugar or honey
1 teaspoon salt
2 Tbs olive oil
2 ½ cups flour
 
Pre-heat oven to 400ºF. In a large bowl, combine the yeast and the water and stir until the yeast dissolves. Add the honey (or sugar), salt, and olive oil; stir. Add the flour and stir to combine using a wooden spoon. Scrape down the sides of the bowl with the spoon to make sure all the flour is incorporated. Give it a few good "turns" around the bowl to mix well. There's no need to knead the dough. Let the dough rest at least 10 mins.
 
Spray a pizza stone or baking sheet with cooking spray. Scrape the dough out of the bowl with the wooden spoon and onto the baking sheet or stone. (I personally prefer a stone. I think it cooks more evenly and gives a nice golden crust). Flour your hands and pat the dough out to flatten. Press and push the dough out to the edges of the baking sheet. You can use a rolling pin as well, just be sure to flour the pin. The dough is sticky.
 
Top with your favorite pizza sauce and toppings and bake at 400º for about 20 minutes or until the cheese is bubbly and the crust is golden.

No comments:

Post a Comment